Cluster of COVID-19 Cases in a Workplace: the First Cluster of a Workplace- related Outbreak in Malaysia, 2020

Main Article Content

Noor Aliza Lodz Chong Zhuo Lin Wan Shakira Rodzlan Hasani Noor Ani Ahmad Fazila Haryati Ahmad Halizah Mat Rifin Shubash Shander Ganapathy Nur Liana Ab Majid Nik Adilah Shahein Muhd Hafizuddin Taufik Ramli Zazarida Zakiman Salina Md Talib Lee Soo Cheng Rama Krishna Supramaniam Muhammad Haikal Ghazali Mohamed Paid Yusof

Abstract

In the early stages of the COVID-19 crisis, there was no specific guideline for handling an outbreak if it occurred in a workplace. This study aimed to describe the first and one of the largest clusters linked to a business corporate in Malaysia. A descriptive analysis was conducted using surveillance data from the Petaling District Health Office notified between 28 Feb and 22 Mar 2020. All cases and contacts were identified through surveillance, epidemiological investigation, and laboratory investigation. The total number of confirmed cases and close contacts were 63 and 1,536, respectively. The respondents were mainly Malay, male, and the mean age was 46 years. Of the 63 positive cases, 48 (76%) were reported to have symptoms during the investigation, while the remaining 15 cases (24%) were asymptomatic. The main clinical manifestations were fever (52%), cough (37%), sore throat (27%) and shortness of breath (27%). The mean incubation period was 3.5 days. Due to the timely prevention and control measures carried out by the Petaling District Health Office, the chain of transmission was interrupted as the last case was reported on 19 Mar 2020.


Keywords: COVID-19 outbreak, workplace, cluster, Malaysia


Article in English

Article Details

How to Cite
LODZ, Noor Aliza et al. Cluster of COVID-19 Cases in a Workplace: the First Cluster of a Workplace- related Outbreak in Malaysia, 2020. OSIR Journal, [S.l.], v. 15, n. 1, mar. 2022. ISSN 2651-1061. Available at: <http://www.osirjournal.net/index.php/osir/article/view/263>. Date accessed: 02 july 2022.
Section
Articles